This session is funded with a grant from ARIN. It is a two-hour webinar consisting of IPv6 Fundamentals and Neighbor Discovery.
IPv6 Fundamentals: To be successful in implementing and understanding IPv6 networks, you need to first understand the IPv6 address methodology which is, in many ways, a fundamental change from the IPv4 paradigm. In this introduction, you will become familiar with what is different as well as what is the same with IPv6.
- Public and private addresses
- IPv6 Prefixes
- IPv6 Address Structure
- IPv6 Interface ID
- IPv6 Addressing and Address Allocation Methods (stateless, statefull)
- Address types, unicast, multicast, anycast
- Address categories: global, site local, link local
- Unique Local Unicast addresses
- Zero compression
- Special addresses (loopback, unspecified, IPv4 mapped IPv6)
- Broadcast address elimination
.Neighbor Discovery (SLAAC)Description: The Neighbor Discovery Protocol (NDP) is one of key building blocks of IPv6, though it creates an alphabet soup of acronyms (NDP, RA, RS, NS, NA, DAD, MLD, SLAAC, RDNSS). We will describe how NDP works and its basic functions, including addressing and routing. Network engineers and systems engineers who are familiar with IPv6 addresses are welcome.
- Neighbor Discovery Protocol (NDP)
- Router Advertisements (RA)
- Router Solicitation (RS)
- Neighbor Solicitation (NS)
- Neighbor Advertisement (NA)
- Duplicate Address Detection (DAD)
- Multicast Listener Discovery (MLD)
- Stateless Address Autoconfiguration (SLAAC)
- Router Advertisements for DNS (RDNSS)
Nalini Elkins is the President of the Industry Network Technology Council.